Empowerment Clinic’s objective is to improve the quality of life of disadvantaged populations using a cross-cultural holistic, client-centered approach to wellness.
CULTURALLY SPECIFIC (AFRICAN-AMERICAN) PROGRAMMING
The client will first receive services from an all black staff. This begins with a comprehensive assessment by an African-American Counselor. In addition, a client may also receive an evaluation conducted by our medical director. A treatment plan is then developed with specific and measurable goals. These goals address relevant cultural issues such as: coping skills adjustment to actual or perceived racism/injustice/microagression.
The educational components consist of lectures, seminars, and a variety of subjects related to African-American History, Historical Trauma, Intergenerational Trauma and the connections to Substance Abuse, Mental Health Issues and the recovery process, including:
- Relapse prevention skills
- Melanin as an alkaloid and why that’s important
- Which A&D Program has the highest rate of success all time for sustain full remission of black male recovery
- How to deal with “real” feelings in the recovery process
- Cognitive Behavioral therapy
- Client-Centered therapy
- Trauma-Informed Care
- Crack Cocaine and Sentencing laws
- Personal experience as a black person in U.S./Oregon